Teens For Jeans
By Krystal Klassen
.6 to 1.7 million people under 18 will experience homelessness each year. An estimated 1-in-3 of those are under the age of 18. With the help of Aéropostale and Dosomething.org, there is an opportunity to get homeless teens the clothes they need.
Teens For Jeans is in their fifth year of this project; and in the past four years, 1.5 million jeans have been collected and donated. Everyone who donates a pair to Teens for Jeans will receive a 25 percent off coupon on a new pair of jeans.
The contest started on Jan. 16 and will end on Feb. 10. It is open to elementary, middle and high schools located in the United States, Puerto Rico, and Canada. 7,000 schools are competing for the grand prize, including Lincoln, which is a $5,000 donation to the school, one pair of jeans (valuled at $30) for each student at the winning school, and a party hosted by the sponsors. The grand prize will be awarded to the school that has donated the highest number of jeans during the contest period.
Lincoln will be collaborating with Horton Plaza Aéropostale to reach our goal of 5,000 jeans!
This is how it works:
- Students and Faculty will participate in a 4th period class competition. Participants can donate denim jeans in any brand, color, style, or size.
- For each pair of jeans the participants donate, they will receive a 25 percent off coupon on their next pair of jeans at Aéropostale. That means that if you donate 5 pairs of jeans, you will receive 5 coupons!
- The first 4th period class that collects 100 jeans will win a pizza party!
- Each class that collects a minimum of 150 jeans will get an ice cream party!
- This event will start on January 16 and final collections will be on February 10.
“I got interested because it all goes to charity,” said senior Saniesa Thomas, who is taking the lead on this project. “It all goes to a good cause. There might be LHS students who are homeless, and because these jeans are going to local shelters, we might be helping out our classmates without knowing it. So far, I’ve given 10 pairs and I hope to give 10 more.”
- 2012-05-10 08:00:00 - Lincoln Seniors Moving on to Bigger and Better Things
- 2012-05-07 08:00:00 - Lincoln High Helps Cure Cancer
- 2012-05-04 08:00:00 - Golden Opportunity
- 2012-04-23 08:00:00 - A Fatal Game
- 2012-03-30 08:00:00 - President Obama may Speak at 2012 Graduation